Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Guilt vs. Conviction

I've been struggling with the concept of guilt versus conviction.

You've probably seen that thingy going around on facebook.  There are two rows.  Each row has a header. One says "God" and one says "Satan".  I don't remember anything else on the list except that God brings conviction and that Satan brings guilt.

Ok.  Great.  But what does guilt versus conviction look like?.  Or feel like?  There's always that underlying feeling of "you should have done this" or "if you loved me . . ."  or "you are so unholy".  And the list never ends of these voices.  They sound good.  They sound like things I think God would say.  Because he wants us to strive for all things great and holy.

And then I got my answer.  Guilt just makes you feel guilty.  Conviction punches you in the gut.  Knocks you on your face.  And you can do nothing but beg for forgiveness, because the stench of your sin overpowers the pride to stand and ignore the offense.  It's almost like a reflex.  This hearing or reading of truth.  Penetrates to the soul.  And washes.

So there you have it.  In case you were wondering the difference.

And now it's thundering, so I must get off of this electrical device.

Take Aways
1)  God's love should never take us by surprise - but it always does
2)  I love it most when God reveals.

Fun Fact
Murnice has picked up a Florence  Nightingale book and can't put it down.  Also, I have cherry coke in the freezer and I can't stop thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. This is profound. I have been thinking about this since you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for thinking I'm profound. Or, at least some of my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete