Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Holy Water

The Witherhalls had a holy weekend.  Ok, not really holy - just a baptism.  Big D decided that he needed the holy washing.

It's kinda a long story - and since family reads this to get updates since I don't do the phone very well, I'll tell the story.  And they rest of you piglets can do as you please.

Big D could not remember when he became a believer, but got baptized when he was 16.  He never really thought about it - until he heard David Jeremiah (on the radio) say that when you become saved, it's a moment in time.  And it should be remembered.  Something about it should be remembered.  And Big D couldn't remember his moment in time.  The only thing that was sticking in his memory banks was when he was in college and a change in his heart started to take place and he started to live out the scriptures.  And if this is the case, his previous baptism was illegitimate.

I really struggled with this for a lot of personal reasons that I will not get into unless you are super super close to me and we share the same air.

A few of the reasons that I will publicly announce, that crumpled my toes:  Big D loves a reason to run away from house duties, which means - if he can turn a 3 minute event into a  5 hour event - he will.  And, Big D loves to be a showman.  He's one of those people that will invite everybody to everything.  (Those types of people make me growl)

So when he finally announced his decision to be baptized, I was on high-alert, grump style.  He started going through his list of people that he was going to invite - I got real excited.  Asked him what his motive was.  And thank you, Jesus - he had a change of heart.

And now I'll move on to the actual day, because I could go on for the rest of the year on all the reasons I was being a sour puss.

Saturday was cool (72ish)  Big D decided that 9:30am was perfect (with much cajoling) and the holy water experience was going to take place at a local hikery park that we walked to from our mole hole.  Big D decided to invite Friday Friends and two other men (and their families) that have a spiritual impact in his life.  It was a perfect intimate group of people.  We walked a mile.  The men up ahead, the women in the back with the kids.  And we finally got to Big D's spot where the boy scouts were having a work party.

I have to be honest.  It was quite lovely.  My favorite baptism so far.  So quiet, so simple, so special with a few of our favorites.

And then the fun began.  We played in the river.  All of us - minus the mama with the baby.


That's me swinging out on the rope swing. Yes, I'm wearing a dress.  Big D is holding Ed, and Murnice is watching.

Take Aways
1)  I'm glad I have a husband/bed romper friend that hears and obeys God.
2)  I am so glad that all of the "things" that I was crumpled about - did not come to pass.
3)  I am so glad that we had river time, together.

1 comment:

  1. You need a "Makes me Smile" check bow, because that is what this post made me do. Smile. Pretty special.

    ReplyDelete