Monday, December 16, 2013

False Advertising Deserves a Nose Tweak

So I got this email about a local production of the Nutcracker ballet.

Key juicy points:
1)  It was rated on a professional level as:  just below the city's Nutcracker ballet.
2)  Tickets were only $5 a person.
3)  The show was run by a Russian.  And Russians know how to dance.

Things I planned:
1)  Fun, family, Sunday-afternoon, culturalization time - for cheap.  So if anybody pooped their pants in the middle of the performance, I wouldn't feel crazy about leaving.
2)  It was a surprise for Murnice.  Beautiful costumes and fancy ladies twirling.  What 8 year old wouldn't feel like a queen?
3)  I invited Friday Friends.  That was a surprise too.
4)  Dinner all together after the ballet.
5)  Big family smiles, as we shared the day together with good entertainment, good fellowship (I hate that word - so I used it just to annoy other people who hate that word), and good food.

The way it really went down:
1)  It really cost $8 per person.
2)  There were about 37 people there.  All parents and grandparents.
3)  I don't have words to describe the horrific-ness of the actual ballet.  But I'll try.
a.  the music was crammed through ginormous loud speakers.  I use the word "cram" because there are no other words for:  way-too-loud-with-the-tone-set-to-make-your-eardrums-bleed.
b.  we were only given two clues that we were actually watching the Nutcracker.  Clue #1 they played Nutcracker music  Clue #2  the first scene was Clara waltzing around with her nutcracker, in her see-through nighty
c.  there is nothing more possibly maddening, then to be watching a performance - of any sort - only to have to watch a bunch of snotty-nosed little kids run around in circles with no rhyme or reason.  What makes it ever worse, is when the mothers scream a little louder, clap a little harder, and bounce up and down in their seats.  (Yes, that all happened)
d.  the worst part for me, was when the Arabian dancers came out.  Grown-ups.  And they couldn't dance at all.  Not in sync for a second.  They did the same 4 moves the entire dance.  One Arabian dancer put her pants on backwards.  They tried being sexy - which only made it so much more uncomfortable.
4)  Murnice cried.  She hated every part of it.
5)  Friday Friends never showed up.  Nor have they told us why they didn't show up.  It's all very fishy.
6)  The show lasted 40 minutes.  Worst $8 ever spent in the history of spending money.
7)  The place we ended up eating at smelled of moth balls and musty car oil.  And I'm pretty sure my burger was a rotting tortoise carcass.
8)  Big D and I fought the whole time.

Do I sound like an ungrateful fleabag?

Once again I'm spit-fired, flustered at the way a simple afternoon was supposed to go.  At least I didn't almost die again.

I guess it's just more confirmation that the couch is where I belong.

On a side note, I actually got dressed to leave the house.  Big D said that I looked so lovely.  And that my breasts looked lushishly large.  (That's what happens when you put a bra on for the first time in forever)

P.S.  Does anybody else love to sniff down their own shirt to smell their musty armpits?  I am not ashamed.

1 comment: