Thursday, April 17, 2014

Wonder No More

Oh, it's happened.  The thing that parents - probably more so mothers, than fathers - expect, know, is bound to happen.  Someway or another.  That really awkward happening.  Where you don't know how to prepare for it.  Or even know how you're going to respond to it.  You just hope that all the stars align and make it, the "happening", happen as smoothly as will allow.

This past weekend came straight out of heaven.  The weather, that is.  80 F.  With full sun.  So much hope glittered that day.  I was feeling needy, as usual.  And Big D thought it incredibly appropriate to do his best at avoiding the fact that I needed a Dr. Pepper right then and there, on the spot.

You might be thinking I sound a little bratty at this point.  But I can assure you - I was not bratty.  At least in the beginning.

We stopped at the grocer after church.  (Yup, went to church)  Big D needed to get milk and pickles.(another long, ridiculous story)  I asked him to also grab some Dr. Pepper.  My tongue was drowning in saliva, just from the thought of chemicals and cancer.

Now, I don't think it's very good natured of a wife to ask . . . *real whiney voice*  "did you get milk?  did you get pickles?  did you get Dr. Pepper?" when he gets back to the car.  It's 3 items.  I expect that a grown, reasonably minded-man can remember 3 things.  And I should really restrain all my nagginess.

So I restrained.  And it wasn't even hard for me.

I even let him eat his lunch before I brought up my Dr. Pepper.  And by bringing up, it was just a simple "where did you put the Dr. Pepper?" 

And the next part, is the part in the story where I roared.  And displayed everything so natural and unlovely that every woman possess.  I think I stomped once or twice.  And made some ugly faces.  Maybe some curse words thrown in for good measure.  And demanded.  DEMANDED, immediate action.

Even with the fine display of displeasure and urgency, Big D still thought it was appropriate to ride his bike to fetch the forgotten beverage.

And what's a girl to do?  He already made up his mind.  He wanted to ride his bike.  He knew I was beyond rabid tiger-like.  There's only so much of a fit that can be thrown over something as childish as a drink.

So I chose to trust that Big D would move his very-out-of-shape legs, very fast the few miles and mountain he needed to ride.  (I'm working on trust) (that's why I didn't naggy ask at the grocer, the first time, if he had remembered everything)

Let me tell you, I really think only 7 minutes went by before he was back in the house.  Puffing, red-faced and slightly miserable looking.

And I looked as pleased as a spoiled brat on Christmas - waiting for my pony to be presented.

............................................................

Um..................Yup, the "pony" was left at the stable.  Because somebody forgot to bring their wallet.

And then I shut down.  Because you can only get so mad before it becomes too emotionally exhausting.

I felt a little bad for Big D.   . . . .butmorebadforme.

The third time, he drove.  And remembered.  And by the time he got back, I was so relieved.  And needy.  He was so pumped full of anger, frustration, and testosterone - that we agreed to take care of business.  Adult style.

To set the tone:  80 degrees, sunny and bright, middle of the afternoon, windows open, both kids outside - and had been outside for awhile - playing like kings and queens.

At this point, the adult as to make a choice.  Go out and tell the children to NOT come inside unless there is blood oozing from some body.  Or, believe in fairy tales and all things false and movie-like and just do "it" because the chances of the kids coming inside on this incredible day - are slim to none.

We chose choice B - believe in farty-tales.

And with that choice, we then had to make another choice.  Close the bedroom door, and have no warning of when child A or child B or child A and B could come barging in.  Or choose to keep the bedroom door open so that we could hear the little warning pitter-patters and apply appropriate coverage.

Once again, we chose choice B.  Keep door open.

I also will preface the next part with the key point, that the consummation of our marriage, plan - was indeed going to happen fast.  In other words, a "quickie".  Two minutes - tops.

1:27 seconds - we hear the toilet lid slam down and the faucet turned on. 

For those of you that have been to our mole-hole, you know very well that the bathroom door is directly across from our bedroom door.

List of thoughts and actions that happened in the next .005683 seconds:
1)  How did any child walk by our door without me seeing them
2)  It must be Murnice, because she can be stealth like
3)  But that slamming of the lid was definitely boyish
4)  Panic from Big D
5)  Hysterical giggling from me
6)  Very nervous "what do we do?!" from Big D
7)  "They've already seen everything, so just hold still" from me
8)  Audible yell from me, "nice job kids"

And then I found out it was just Ed.  I really really think an angel carried him into the house, plopped him on the toilet, and caught his pee in his own angel hands - because there is just no other explanation as to how a bumbling, chatty-Kath, trippy-slap-feeted, pigpie - almost 3 year old boy could have walked through my house (hard wood floors) past my bedroom door, and peed without a scent of a sound.

When I yelled, "nice job kids", Ed interpreted that as "come into the bedroom and take a good peaksy.  And while you're at it, lets talk for awhile."

"Hey dad, why are you snuggling with mom?  Can you get Murny the gum down.  She wants the gum.  Mom, I see your ninnies.  Haha, dad - you have a big butt.  Can you get the gum.  It's in the garage.  It's too high."  etc - for another 2 minutes.  Just round and round.  "Gum" - meaning Big D's cross bow. . . . .  (I feel like I should be a disclaimer here that says, we have never allowed our children to play or use the cross bow.  Or any cross bow.)

So I finally said, "Ed, daddy wants to spend time with mama's boobies"  (earlier that week, he and Murnice got into a verbal altercation over what Dad liked better - boobies or nipples.  I don't think that's ever a phone call, over lunch, you expect to get from your kids. . . . . .  Dad picked boobs - for the sake of the children.  Don't judge what happens over here in this family.  I have bizarre children)

And then he snickered a few more times about things that strike a 2-year-old as humorous, and finally left.

Approximately 21 seconds later, I HEARD (this time) both blessings come into the house, and tramp down the hallway.

I start whisper screaming "THEY'RE COMING!!!!!!"  And I'm not sure if Big D was taking the scripture of "doing everything as unto the Lord" aka giving it your all and applying it at that moment.  Or . . . . if he just didn't care.  Or . . . .if there was no level of comprehension of "they're coming"   ...................................

 . . . . . Yup . . . . . . .and then we had 2 kids in the bedroom with us.  Giggling at the-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words, display.

Things I am grateful for:
1)  The modest position we chose to consumate
2)  That we don't ever have to waste another speck of a wonder, dreading the "great reveal"
3)  That the children do not seem to be struggling from any forms of PTSD, OR have asked any questions
4)  That Big D and I were able to not "be weird" causing confusion and tears

And now I'm going to run away, and not make eye contact with anybody for awhile.

1 comment: